So I decided to be a punk rocker for Halloween this year and, I have say, I look good! From the pink streak in my hair to the black sparkly nail polish, I can say I nailed it! Just from raiding my closet, I put together a loose fitting sparkly top, high waisted flowy skirt, chained belt, fishnets, booties, and heavy metal jewelry and came up with a totally trendy rocker! I also think that my makeup made the outfit. At Sephora, they have great kits filled with eyeshadows, blushes, and lipsticks. I dug out my older one and applied a light shimmery white to my brow bone, and lilac purple to my crease, and a deep mauve to my eyelids for a gothy-smokey eye. I then applied a black stick eyeliner from Mac to my upper and lower lash line and threw on some mascara. My favorite part, the lip color, was apart of that Sephora kit and completely transformed the look. Below is a picture of my creative writing class, all in costume! I love you guys!
For those of you who don’t go to public schools, like myself, and are therefore confined to a boring, boxy uniform, it’s time to spice it up! Most of the magazines I get in the mail monthly have outfit ideas for students who attend public schools, what about us private school kids??? I’ve decided to give y’all a guide on how to keep your uniform interesting without violating the dress code!
1. Eye-Catching Color. Start off by painting your nails a bright and lively color that add a pop to your dull but required uniforms
2. Accessorize. I’ve made it part of my daily routine to lay out my school uniform the night before (don’t make fun of me for it!) or else I’ll be up in my room for hours trying to match accessories! I made the rule that I can’t go to school without at least ONE piece of statement jewelry on. EIther a bracelet or a necklace or earrings, whatever! I just have to have something on to keep my uniform somewhat trendy! Plus, it’s a great conversation starter ;P
3. Don’t Forget Your Feet. On P.E. days I understand a tennis shoe is required, but that doesn’t mean that you can get away with it everyday! Splurge on a cute pair of Coach ballet flats! Don’t worry, its OK! They last for a long time and are pretty durable for running around campus! Still want a tennis shoe? Michael Kors has some great options out now that are to die for! They function the same way as a normal sport shoe, but add a little bit of girliness. Sperry’s are another idea! I prefer the classic tan ones myself to look a little bit more sophisticated (I am a sophomore here!).
4. Do it Up. Keep your hair interesting! Sure a slicked back pony tail is always cute, so mess around with it! Add a charmed hair tie or wrap a piece of it around the hair band. I usually wear my hair down nowadays, but when I do clip back the middle, I hold my hair back with a sparkly clip or two for a bit of sparkle. Headbands are also a good idea, just don’t go overboard. Nordstrom has gorgeous fabric headbands right now that are trendy, but not overkill.
5. Belt It. Even if you’re in a skirt, a few multicolored thin belts are adorable when they are wrapped around your waist or hip. For someone who wears pants everyday (like me), Abercrombie & Fitch have awesome twisted belts that cinch your hip in just the right places. I personally prefer the ones that are a little thicker and adorned with larger buckles.
So, there’s a Halloween Bash at my school this Friday night and I am totally torn on what to be! I’ve been toying around with being an angel (wings, white jeans, flowy shirt, etc…), but I think that the wings will get in the way of the dance floor and it won’t be the most figure flattering outfit either. Another idea I have is being a punk rocker kind of chick (mini skirt, ripped tights, colored hair streaks, etc…), but the down side to that is I may come across as trying too hard to show off my curves. Who knew Halloween could be this difficult!! Glancing a few of this months magazines, I’ve seen a lot of Dorothy’s, Minnie Mouses, and flat out strange costumes. I want to be a little more flirty than the basic ensembles, though, considering this is the first time for half of the student body to see me in something other than a school uniform! Any suggestions, comment on my instagram (kba4evr) or somewhere on this page!
Follow Glamour magazine and go for gold this November! But before you go all out, remember this few helpful tips so that you look trendy, not trashy.
1. A girly A-line dress in this hue is a great way to kick off your fall formal!
2. Show off your curves! There’s nothing wrong with something that fits to your body, just don’t beyond overboard where you look like a stuffed sausage!
3. Reveal SOME skin. By exposing a little bit of skin, you look flirty and will leave guys drooling! Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try to wear your gold shirt as a dress. I mean, really??
4. Pair your gold dress with black tights! Not only do they help you stay warm, but they also serve as a great contrast to the shimmering metallic.
Picture From: http://stefaniegrace.com/2008/08/
Glamour magazine has released the ultimate guide on how to rock your sweater this November depending on your body type! If you’re a curvy girl, tuck in a small portion of the sweater in front and let the sides hang down. A little more bottom heavy? Find a sweater with a high-low hem line to even you out! For tall girls, like myself, get yourself a sweater that hits at or below your hip. This will shorten your torso without looking to scrunched up.
Glamour magazine is adding some spunk to your weekend style this November! Starting with accessories, Aviator style sunglasses are super edgy when paired with a pair of combat boots. I am obsessed with these sunglasses because their shape really accents my high cheek bones and thins out the rest of my face! Poncho’s aren’t just for Hispanic countries anymore! A cozy knitted poncho belted at the waist is super trendy this season. Copy Gwen Stefani’s Tartan coat in plaid! They are really cute with a solid colored pencil skirt and an oversized bag. Use this trend for job interviews or nice dinners this Saturday! Quick Glamour Tip: go with bold colored pencil skirts this month!
For the November issue of Glamour magazine, Taylor Swift has taken over! Her gorgeous blonde curls and signature red lips make Swift the icon of girly style. I, myself, am a fan of Taylor’s soul filled songs (especially her newest hit, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together), but I am obsessed with her fashion sense! In this issue, Glamour took Taylor’s style and made it into affordable yet adorable ensembles. During the day, keep it casual with with a bold hued skinny jean and an unfitted crew neck T-shirt, preferably one with thick horizontal stripes to keep the eye moving. For a night out look, they suggested a glittery gold tank with a bright colored pleated skirt. To add shape, use a single skinny belt in the same color as the skirt and cinch it at the waist, but wear it loose enough not to bunch the fabric of the top. As for jewelry, stick with chunky bracelets in bronze tones that are studded with diamonds and keep your purse simple, such as a small, neutral, over the shoulder bag. Then, swipe on some scarlet lipstick and you’ll be rocking out like Taylor Swift! I can’t wait to test this trend out!
Marie Claire has deemed blue as the must have nail polish color! Trying to keep summer alive, cheery and shimmery shades are gorgeous on any skin tone. To be super trendy, use the stray nail technique and pair it with a glowing bronze to make the blues pop. You could also use one lighter blue and a darker one for definition. This magazine recommends the brands Essie in Blue Rhapsody and OPI in Unfor-greta-bly Blue. Personally, I prefer Revlon’s Nail Art French Mix in Sneak Peak. To be super creative, I did a different design on each nail. What I used to create the patterns on each nail, in the picture shown, are Revlon Colorstay in Coastal Surf, Ciate Paint Pots in Skinny Jeans, and Sinful Colors Professional in Queen of Beauty.
Marie Claire hooked up with pop star Gwen Stefani for a super edgy photo shoot. She went for a super war themed style, army. But this time around, it’s not all about the camo cargos. Try the combat boots with buckles, studs, and a slight heal or a subtly printed curse mixed with some gold glitter. Want to be a little more subtle with it? Do a tough looking watch or an army green beret instead! Rock it and march out! picture from: https://subscribe.hearstmags.com/subscribe/marieclaire/97943?source=sem_gog
Lips aren’t just for kissin’ anymore! Now they are on shirts, tights, and accessories! Marie Claire magazine featured this latest trend on earrings, necklaces, and, especially, rings! Most of the lips I’ve seen are shining bright in gems in pinks and reds, though the shirts can come in a bunch of neutral colors. I got a super cute shirt from Express for my birthday in a nude color with a big pair of glittering lips on the front. They spice up any outfit and can be worn with anything! A personal favorite? Pairing a lip ring and necklace with a black micro mini! You can match lips with lips, but don’t go over board or the guys won’t know where to kiss ya!picture from:http://royalfashionjewelry.com/silver-plated-red-lip-shaped-stretch-ring-p-438.html